It is entirely normal to experience negative thoughts and negative self-talk. However, some types of negative thinking can be extremely detrimental to our health and happiness. A negative attitude can have repercussions on your well-being and on those around you. Here are a few very common negative thoughts that we need to kill.
- Perfectionism – Perfectionism is a personality trait characterized by a person striving for flawlessness and setting high-performance standards, accompanied by critical self-evaluations and concerns regarding others’ evaluations. When healthy, it can be self-motivating and drive you to overcome adversity and achieve success. When unhealthy, it can be a fast and enduring track to unhappiness.
- Judgment over yourself and others – Humans are prone to judge and evaluate situations, each other, and even themselves, but too much judgment can be a negative thing. When we begin harshly judging others, it massively affects the relationships. And self-criticism leads to negative thought patterns, self-doubt, and anxiety, which in turn can wreak havoc on the heart and the immune system, and prevent us from leading the lives that we truly deserve.
- Self-doubt – Self-doubt is the feeling of doubt or uncertainty about one’s abilities, actions, etc. People who doubt themselves panic about things going out of control or not going the way as expected. A certain level of self-doubt is good because it indicates you understand what you need to improve in order to do a better job. However, persistent fear and self-doubt can hugely affect your life, in a bad way. It is a weed that will take over your life if you do not kill it at the root.
- Worry – Worry refers to the thoughts, images, emotions, and actions of a negative nature in a repetitive, uncontrollable manner. Excessive worry is a primary diagnostic feature of generalized anxiety disorder. Most people experience short-lived periods of worry, indeed, a mild amount of worrying has positive effects, if it prompts people to take precautions or avoid risky behavior but with excessive worrisome people, they overestimate future dangers in their assessments and in its extremities tend to magnify the situation as a dead-end which results in stress. Worrying changes nothing except your health and mental state.
- Complaining – When you focus on the negative things, you are really setting yourself up for never being content or happy. Complaining drains our energy by producing stress hormones every time you complain. The more you complain, the more you’ll have to complain about. This creates a vicious circle of negativity, increasing your stress and anxiety levels. Once you stop complaining, you’ll discover newfound energy and happiness in your life.
So if you are suffering from these types of negative thoughts, challenge yourself to think more positively instead. Don’t let your negativity control you because a negative mind will never give you a positive life. You deserve to live a positive and happy life!